Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Peace For Pigs

Fearmans Slaughterhouse, Burlington, Ontario, Canada
As a kid/teenager I would avoid this area of my hometown; the corner of Appleby Line and Harvester Road in Burlington. But in recent years I began to frequent it. I'll never be able to tolerate the smell in the air of the tortured pigs put to death in murderous ways each day in this part of the city. Being there however to remind the people who pass by puts thought in the mind of the community about the horror that goes on behind the walls of Fearmans (formally Maple Leaf Pork) Slaughterhouse. This daily tragedy takes the lives of up to 45,000 pigs weekly at this location alone and cannot be ignored. Among the largest pig slaughterhouses in Ontario are Quality Meat Packers and Fearman’s Pork. Both these facilities use carbon dioxide gas chambers to “stun” the pigs before they are hung upside down on one leg and bled with “hollow knives” and sent to the scalding tank to remove their hair. Though the pigs are supposed to be unconscious at the bleeding and scalding tank steps, this is not always the case! Once the pigs start blinking around 1.5 minutes after being stunned they are fully conscious, thus some of them may be going through this horrific process fully conscious. Resources such as Toronto Pig Save will give you all the information you need to know about these shameful businesses and organizations such as PETA will send you the literature you need to distribute and educate during a demo of your own. If you want to join in the next protest we hold you can contact me via Twitter @jennjam and I'll send you the information. 

About Me

My photo
Life-long Vegetarian and proud to be Canadian. Really, I'm a little bit of everything, all rolled into one. I'm a bitch, I'm a lover, I'm a child, I'm a mother, I'm a sinner, I'm a saint (I do not feel ashamed) I'm your hell, I'm your dream (I'm nothing in between) You know, I wouldn't want it any other way..... (I'd like to think that song was written about me! lol)